Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm back!


So I just got back from a month at the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, VT, and I had the best time ever. (I never managed to find out whether or not candles really are made by losers, but I did learn that it is common practice for Vermonters to drive around with dead deer on the hoods of their cars, and to hang dead deer in trees to drain the blood.)

But don't let that scare you off. It is a beautiful place in a valley in the Green Mountains, and there are covered bridges, winding rivers, waterfalls, maple syrup shops, hippies, hunters, and three delicious meals a day served in a room with a view of an adorable mink scampering about on the ice of the frozen river right outside the dining hall. Plus there are great studios and very nice houses to stay in, and 40-50 other artists and writers to bond with. And a ping pong table! And if you go around Christmas like I did you get to see the town of Johnson pull together a live nativity scene starring a 13 year old boy in Carharts as the baby Jesus - amazing.

And they offer partial to full funding - applications are due soon, check the website. I highly recommend it!

But back to reality - evidently while I was away I missed some excitement here in Canada...from what I gather the government was almost overthrown for not dealing with the economic crisis, but Mercer saved the day by offering an art bailout - awesome! I'm sorry I missed that.

I also missed Dave Dyment's opening at MKG 127 on Sunday, which I heard involved some excellent whiskey samples. Thankfully the work can still be viewed, though I suppose I'll have to provide my own whiskey...

No comments: