Saturday, August 16, 2008

Abbas Kiarostami on YouTube

My friend Chris recently sent me some links to very hard to find early Abbas Kiarostami films that are now on YouTube. These were shorts Kiarostami made for the filmmaking department at the Institute for Intellectual Development of Children and Young Adults in Tehran, an organization that he helped found in 1969.

One of the best shorts on YouTube is Do Rahehal Barayeh Yek Mass (Two solutions for one problem). (1975) I'm pretty sure the world would be a much better place if everyone saw this film. Seriously.

Also great is The Bread and Alley, which is from 1970 and is Kiarostami's first film.

I recently read that Juliette Binoche will be in an upcoming Kiarostami film - for some reason this worries me, though I read an okay interview with her that makes me think it could be okay and not an Iranian version of Chocolat....we'll see....

No comments: