Friday, June 27, 2008

Help Save the International Cryptozoology Museum


This man - the one in front - needs your help. He is Loren Coleman,the creator of what is described by boingboing.net as "a multi-room cabinet of curiosities filled with artifacts, ephemera, and oddities related to 'hidden animals,' mythical beasts, and creatures unknown to science" called the International Cryptozoology Museum, and he is in trouble with the IRS.

Says Coleman:
"I began with a vision of the museum, after displaying objects and items in a decade of rentals after my divorce, to purchase a house a bit bigger than I needed, to turn over a main floor and extra storage to a cryptozoology and Bigfoot museum where researchers, documentary filmmakers, and visitors could see cryptozoology in three dimensions. It would be the International Cryptozoology Museum, for cryptozoologists, the media, and the public to enjoy....

...To the IRS, the museum verges on being a hobby (as per Code 183), and it needs more income (even if donations) to support itself, on its own. To me, the merging between my interviews, the book sales that come out of the museum appearances, and the visibility of the museum on the net are all interwoven. I’ve never had a great income since I was laid off from adjunct teaching, but combined together, I live at the cryptozoology poverty level with no complaints. But to the IRS, the museum is a separate entity. I understand now, and must comply with that view. I’ve lost my appeal on my “merge” view.



No fighting this any longer, for I stand fully enlightened about how the IRS is viewing Code 183, as it applies to my life’s career. The museum has to make money, or it ceases to exist.

Therefore, my ten year plan for where this museum was going needs to be sped up. It has come time for me to push into play the next phase of where this has to go, for the museum, to be kept alive, I see it has to be moved into a separate facility within one year and get a regular, separate stream of income."

You can find out more about this amazing collection and how you can help save items such as this carving of the "FeeJee Mermaid",


here.

No comments: