Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thurston Moore and Cartman on Guitar Hero

In an interview with Pitchfork today Thurston Moore discusses the video game "Guitar Hero":

"I don't play video games. I tried playing "Guitar Hero". I was over at Jemina Pearl's house, the singer from Be Your Own Pet in Nashville, and she had it and I was like, "Aw man, that's so fuckin' easy!" And she's like, "Yeah?" And she played "Search & Destroy" by the Stooges on it. And she just kicked ass. She just ripped on it, like, she played all of James Williamson's leads, and I was watching her, like, "Huh, I could do that." And then I tried my hand at it. I couldn't even get out of the gate. I was just splayed on the living room floor, bleeding and humiliated [laughs]. It does take a lot of...I don't know, it does take some kind of skill, certainly but I think it just takes a lot of...hours [laughs]. Okay, if I sat with this thing for a few days, I might be able to-- it's cool, I don't have any problem with it, but I'd rather read a book."

Yesterday's episode of South Park also takes on the game, with a parody of the cliched story of the rise and fall of a rock band, including a character who's success is derailed following an addiction to a game called "Heroin Hero". As always, the best line belongs to Cartman: "Real guitars are for old people".

No comments: