Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I, Tania

Last night I dreamt that Scott Walker fell on hard times during the seventies and had to take on paying gigs like singing the theme song to the short lived TV series "The Greatest American Hero" ("......believe it or not, i'm walking on air..."). I'm sure this makes sense to no one except myself (and not much to me) but if it were a text piece by Brian Joseph Davis it would be crystal clear. His 2005 book "Portable Altamont" was a witty take on surrealist celebrity gossip, reminiscent of the better sections of Harmony Korine's "Crack-up at the Race Riot". Using a wide variety of literary devices, it re-imagined Philip Roth and David Lee Roth as siblings, Margaret Atwood as a human beatbox, the Swedish Chef from the Muppet show reciting Eliot and Jessica Simpson applying for arts grants.

His follow up, "I, Tania" is being launched tonight at Supermarket, (268 Augusta) at 8:00 p.m. Go, buy a book, take it home and read it while listening to the suggested playlist, downloadable here: www.brianjosephdavis.com/tania.htm.

No comments: